Education Internship – Spring 2019
KERA is looking for an intern for the Spring Term 2019 to help the Education Director develop projects involving work with families and young children.
The intern will be involved with:
- Expansion of a free service that sends text messages to parents of young children to help them develop skills important to success in prekindergarten, kindergarten and elementary school. The outreach is targeted primarily to Spanish-speaking families, low-income families and in-home caregivers;
- Preparation for the launch of a new program to provide workshops for families in nutrition and fitness in coming months. The intern will help plan the rollout and training of workshop facilitators with partner nonprofit organizations;
- Measurement of the impact of the two above projects — using mostly qualitative methods with some quantitative coding and analysis. The intern will help plan and execute these activities.
- Helping to identify high-quality digital resources to share with parents of young children, including child development, early literacy and math, healthy habits and general parenting topics.
- Assistance with presentations at conferences or group meetings of teachers, librarians, parents and others where KERA is invited to talk about the many educational resources we provide, including digital materials designed for use in school.
KERA requires that the intern’s work earn credit or otherwise advance the student toward a degree, specific class or research project, and that a mentoring faculty member provide KERA with requirements the intern must meet to gain credit. The position is not paid, but KERA will work with the student and faculty member to ensure that the work provides valuable experience for the student. We will give preference to candidates who are fluent in English and Spanish.
The intern will work 8 hours a week with a schedule that compliments his/her class schedule. The position will begin in January 2019 and continue through the end of classes in Spring Term. Most of the work will be completed at the KERA station, 3000 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75201.
HOW TO APPLY:
Candidates are asked to send a letter that explains their interest in the post, describes how the work would relate to their degree program or a specific class, and outlines their qualifications for the work. Please also state in your letter how you found out about this intern position.
Submit this information as you prefer:
- Email to: [email protected]
- Fax to: 214-740-9323
- Mail to: Human Resources, KERA, 3000 Harry Hines Blvd., Dallas, Texas 75201