North Texas Public Broadcasting KERA TV, KERA 90.1 and KXT 91.7
North Texas Public Broadcasting, Inc., the PBS and NPR affiliate of North Texas, is a not-for- profit public media organization serving the country’s fifth-largest media market. KERA reaches more than 2 million people weekly through KERA TV, KERA 90.1 FM, Triple-A music station KXT 91.7 FM, an award-winning local news division, robust arts unit, Art&Seek, and a constellation of digital properties, including kera.org, keranews.org, kxt.org and artandseek.org. For more than 50 years, North Texans have turned to KERA as a vibrant destination for community engagement and lifelong learning.
North Texas Public Broadcasting, Inc. currently has an opening for a Graphic Designer. The Graphic Designer position represents an opportunity to work in a dynamic media organization, creating compelling graphic designs. The Graphic Designer is a member of the Communications and Marketing team, and is responsible to execute a wide range of creative materials for multiple departments at KERA. This work includes print, video and animation graphics, and may also involve collaboration with the digital media group on certain projects involving web design. This position reports to the On-Air Promotions Manager.
- Create video graphics and lettering for title, background, logos, and other visual designs for use in KERA’s on-air television productions. Produce design work for multiple departments such as Communications and Marketing, Content, News, Art&Seek, Digital, and pledge and station membership promotions, underwriting spots, board meetings and more
- Conceive and design print graphics for Communications and Marketing projects that may include, but are not limited to infographics, presentation decks, fliers, brochures, ads, logos, and the like involving the KERA Newsletter, grants materials, Major Gifts (fundraising) materials, company events, community engagement and educational materials, email and many other miscellaneous print needs of the business
- Responsible for the implementation of brand standards on all materials produced
- Work with internal staff/external vendors as needed to find solutions in the event of outages, tech issues or last minute program changes and update internal stakeholders
- Brainstorm creative concepts with Communications and Marketing, Digital staff and other internal teams or external teams to create or support new products (multimedia presentations, membership messaging/graphics, digital marketing efforts)
- Execute production of on-air promotional spots from preproduction to final delivery
- Develop on-air graphic elements for pledge drives
- Provide additional design support for digital content initiatives as needed
- Determine style, technique, and medium best suited to produce desired effects and conform to reproduction requirements, or receive and execute specific instructions regarding these variables
- May develop materials manually or most often utilizes graphic software to design and produced finished artwork or product
Experience and Skills:
- A minimum 3-5 years’ proven graphic design experience with a strong portfolio that represents a range of design styles and project diversity
- Background in agency or broadcast environment is a plus
- Skilled in the latest version of Adobe Creative Suite – Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, After Effects, & Premiere Pro
- Knowledge of Cinema 4D, Maya and Watchfire/Ignite sign software helpful
- Proficient in Microsoft Suite – Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook
- Works well in a fast-paced environment
- Time management skills with the ability to complete tasks on deadline without compromising creativity or quality are crucial
- Knowledge of video delivery, as well as local news and music, is a plus
- Problem solving and learning are more important than any specific tool or technology
- The ability to learn, adapt and use new versions or similar tools and frameworks is a must
- Dependability, adaptability, ability to understand concepts, make decisions and exercise good judgment are important
- Must demonstrate positive social skills and the ability to listen and understand the needs of the internal or external client to produce the desired outcome
- Is team-oriented and works well with others
A bachelor’s degree in Creative Design, Graphic Design or similar discipline is required.
This job is located in an office environment in a cubicle area. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; may also be called upon to walk; use hands and fingers to hold, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop; kneel; crouch; or crawl; talk; and hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and depth perception with the ability to legally drive. The employee is sometimes required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please provide a resume and a cover letter summarizing accomplishments and qualifications relative to the position. Please also state how you found out about the position. We thank you for your interest. Please note that only applicants who meet the qualifications as stated can be considered. Submit this information as you prefer:
E-mail to: [email protected]
Fax to: 214-740-9323
Mail to: KERA, Attn. Human Resources, 3000 Harry Hines Blvd. Dallas, Texas 75201
We offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package based upon professional experience and achievement.
North Texas Public Broadcasting – KERA – is and Equal Opportunity Employer.