Marketing and Communications Intern — Spring 2018
MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS INTERN — SPRING 2018
KERA’s Marketing & Communications department functions as an internal agency, managing the organization’s brand identity; promoting its content, services and fundraising initiatives; and providing strategic services to every other department within the organization. The Marketing & Communications Intern will assist with a variety of tasks related to these functions, as well as special events and projects.
The intern must be enrolled as a full-time graduate or undergraduate student with junior or senior standing. Majors in journalism, communication, marketing/advertising/PR, English or similar field are strongly preferred.
The intern’s responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, any of the following activities. Responsibilities may change on a weekly or daily basis, depending on the needs of the department.
- Create a variety of marketing-related content, including pre-scheduled social media posts, promotional blog posts, print newsletter copy, online event calendar posts, etc.
- Help monitor comments, direct messages, etc. across KERA/KXT’s social media accounts. Establish an official log of social media interactions, highlighting incidents of trolling, spamming, offensive/abusive language, etc.
- Assist the team in launching an audit of all content across the organization’s digital platforms (websites, donation forms, social media pages).
- Take photos at station events, volunteer functions, in the studio and during pledge drives as needed.
- Assist with ongoing administrative tasks as needed, including email subscriber data entry, logging volunteer hours, tracking marketing metrics, etc.
- Assist with setup, engagement, etc. at off-site marketing events as needed.
- Strong writing and editing skills. Impeccable grammar, spelling and punctuation skills are a must. Knowledge of AP style is strongly preferred.
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally, both verbally and in writing, with diverse constituencies, including donors, senior management and Board members.
- Strong organizational and time management skills and ability to meet deadlines. Punctuality, reliability and attention to detail.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience using social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Experience with content management systems or blogging platforms (Blogger, WordPress, Drupal) is strongly preferred.
- Photography, graphic design and video editing skills are a plus.
Interns should be available to work a minimum of 15 hours per week at KERA/KXT’s offices. Schedules are flexible, but most shifts should be 4-5 hours long and take place during normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5:30pm). Interns may occasionally be asked to work at evening/weekend events.
- Develop a variety of marketing and communications skills, including social media and digital marketing tools and tactics.
- Sharpen writing skills and practice writing for a variety of platforms and audiences.
- Work adjacent to exciting fields within and outside the organization, including broadcasting, journalism, music industry and the arts. Learn the inner workings of a large public broadcasting and nonprofit organization.
- This position is unpaid. Upon request, KERA will provide documentation to the student’s college or university at the end of the internship semester in order that the student may receive academic credit for the time worked at KERA.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please provide a resume, cover letter and writing sample no more than 500 words in length. Examples may include an article from your university newspaper, short writing assignment, personal essay or blog post. Please also state how you found out about this position. Submit this information as you prefer:
Email to: [email protected]
Fax to: 214-740-9323
Mail to: Human Resources, KERA, 3000 Harry Hines Blvd., Dallas, TX 75201