Resources for Producers
Here are some organizations that support the work of producers who create content for public broadcasting:
NATIONAL TELEVISION, FILM AND VIDEO ORGANIZATIONS
- Center for Asian American Media (CAAM) - CAAM seeks engaging and provocative project proposals from independent media producers. The Media Fund, made possible with funds from CPB, aims to increase visibility of Asian American programs on public television and the way in which Asian Americans are perceived and understood.
- Independent Television Services (ITVS) – ITVS funds, distributes and promotes new programs produced by independent producers primarily for public television and beyond. ITVS is looking for proposals that increase diversity on public television and present a range of subjects, viewpoints and forms that complement and challenge existing public television offerings.
- Latino Public Broadcasting (LPB) – Latino Public Broadcasting funds projects through a competitive grant proposal process. Decisions about which projects are funded are made by an independent panel of broadcast professionals.
- National Black Programming Consortium (NBPC) – NBPC funds, commissions, acquires and awards talented makers of quality African American film and video projects. Selected programs reflect a variety of subjects and production styles. NBPC funds every phase of the production process – i.e., research and development, scripting, production, and post-production.
- National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) - 1100 Pennsylvania Ave., Washington DC 20506 | Phone: (202) 682-5400 | Fax: (202) 682-5611 | E-mail: [email protected]
- National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) – NEH is an independent grant-making agency of the United States government dedicated to supporting research, education, and public programs in the humanities. The NEH accepts Planning, Scripting, and Production Grant applications. NEH, Division of Public Programs, 1100 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington DC 20506 | Phone: (202) 606-8269 | E-mail: [email protected]
- National Science Foundation (NSF) – 4210 Wilson Blvd., Arlington VA 22230 | Phone: (703) 306-1234 | Fax: (703) 306-0250 | E-mail: [email protected]
- Native American Public Telecommunication, Inc. (NAPT) – Proposals are requested for programs in many genres including documentary, performance, cultural/public affairs, children’s and animation. Projects submitted to this solicitation must be intended for national public television broadcast. NAPT is looking for quantity and quality of Native American participation in creative, technical and advisory personnel.
- Pacific Islanders in Communications – Projects selected under the Media Fund must present the Pacific Islander experience in an authentic and educational manner, as well as meet PBS’ high standards of journalistic balance, storytelling, and technical quality.
- PBS – PBS continues to seek programming drawn from the broad areas of News and Public Affairs; Science and History; Travel and Adventure; Natural History; Drama and Performing Arts; and Children’s Programming. Programs and proposals offered to PBS for consideration should enhance and/or complement the current schedule of programs.
NATIONAL RADIO ORGANIZATIONS
- Association of Independents in Radio - A membership alliance of independent producers, programmers, marketers, stations, networks, media arts centers, attorneys, teachers… in short, anyone committed to creativity and vision in public radio.
- Public Radio Exchange – A nonprofit service for distribution, peer review, and licensing of radio pieces
- Third Coast International Festival – A celebration of the best feature and documentary work heard worldwide on the radio and the Internet.
- Transom – An experiment in channeling new work and voices to public radio.
TEXAS TELEVISION, FILM AND VIDEO ORGANIZATIONS
- AFI Dallas International Film Festival – 1155 Broom St., Dallas TX 75202, Phone: (214) 720-0555
- Dallas Producers Association – P.O. Box 3977, Dallas TX 75208, Phone: (214) 343-3749
- Texas Commission on the Arts (TCA) – P.O. Box 13406, Austin TX 78711-3406 | Phone: (512) 463-5535 | TTY Phone: (512) 475-3327 | Toll-free message phone: (800) 252-9415 | Fax: (512) 475-2699 | E-mail: [email protected]
- Humanities Texas – 3809 South 2nd St., Austin TX 78704-7058 | Phone: (512) 440-1991 | Fax: (512) 440-0115
- The Texas Film Commission – P.O. Box 13246, Austin TX 78711 | Phone: (512) 463-9200 | Fax: (512) 463-4114 | E-mail: [email protected]
- The Texas Filmmakers’ Production Fund – Austin Film Society, 1901 E. 51st St, Austin, TX 78723 | (512) 322-0145 | E-mail: [email protected]
- Video Association of Dallas - 1405 Woodlawn Ave., Dallas TX 75208 | Phone: (214) 948-7300
- Women in Film, Dallas – 2600 Stemmons Freeway, Suite 117, Dallas TX 75207 | Phone: (214) 954-4488 | Fax: (214) 954-0004