North Texas Public Broadcasting
KERA TV, KERA FM 90.1 and KXT FM 91.7
North Texas Public Broadcasting, Inc, dba KERA, the PBS and NPR affiliate of North Texas, is a not-for-profit public media organization reaching the fifth-largest media market in the United States through KERA TV, KERA 90.1 FM and music station KXT 91.7. For nearly 60 years, North Texans have turned to KERA as a vibrant destination for community engagement and lifelong learning. KERA produces original multimedia content, carries the best in national and international public television and radio programs, and provides online resources at a constellation of websites, including kera.org, keranews.org, kxt.org and artandseek.org.
KERA has an immediate opportunity for a highly qualified individual to join the KERA team as an Assistant Producer/Digital.
The Assistant Producer/Digital creates and curates content for KERA news and arts digital platforms. She/he will report, write and produce digital stories and radio stories; curate social media streams and create audio, video and multimedia content. Duties will include covering breaking news and cultural developments, building digital stories with reporters and curating social media feeds. This person will coordinate with colleagues around the state as part of The Texas Newsroom, a collaboration with NPR and Texas public radio stations. This person will bolster and extend KERA’s award-winning digital presence.
The ideal candidate is an innovative reporter with a journalism background and a passion for local news and arts, as well as a deep interest in how stories, technology and people come together. Someone who’s as comfortable live-tweeting a political debate as diving deep into a data-driven project. He/she must be someone who’s eager to enhance storytelling through images, video, animation, social media and data reporting. This person will stay abreast of best practices and emerging technologies in digital journalism, while remaining rooted in the ethics, standards and commitment to diversity of public media.
The Assistant Producer/Digital is a dynamic team player who is comfortable in a fast-turnaround environment, can juggle many tasks, and excels at organizing and executing long-range coverage plans and projects. She/he is excited by the possibilities of public media and of the evolving North Texas news landscape. This position reports to the Digital News Editor.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
• Write, edit and curate a robust news presence on KERANews.org, ArtandSeek.org, stories.kera.org and KERA’s social media streams. The primary goal: Distribute KERA content as widely as possible, whenever and wherever potential news audiences exist.
• Blog live during big breaking news events.
• Create frequent digital-only stories and features on arts and news topics.
• Build digital stories with reporters who are out in the field covering events on deadline.
• Create daily/weekly Art&Seek and News e-newsletters.
• Report, using data and Freedom of Information (FOI) techniques, for in-depth KERA projects. Assist in building digital presentation of special projects.
• Explore and develop content for emerging and established platforms.
• Develop spinoff content for the radio (2-ways with KERA hosts, cut & copies, etc.).
• Execute strategies to further the impact and reach of the Art&Seek calendar.
• Coordinate with and adapt content from other stations around the state, and from national networks and programs as part of The Texas Newsroom.
• Collect and post content from NPR, NPR Music, Texas public media stations, and other partners.
• Build social media streams from KERA and partner content.
• Assist Digital News Editor in daily responsibilities; fill in as digital editor during time off/vacations.
• Maintain editorial standards of accuracy, thoroughness, ethics, balance and diversity.
• Work to diversify voices in KERA News coverage online and on the air.
• Report from and work in the field as assigned.
• Participate in KERA staff meetings and on-air fundraising drives.
• One year of related professional experience (online experience preferred) or demonstrable distinguished achievement in relevant internships/freelance work/college media.
• Bachelor’s Degree in journalism, or relevant media field or equivalent.
• Flexible and efficient writer and reporter with wide-ranging interests and a distinctive “voice.”
• Comfortable working with internal and external content providers to create, edit and post a variety of digital media, including images, audio, video and animation.
• Fluent in digital editorial practices and tools, in areas such as online audience engagement, social media, analytics, data reporting, etc.
• Ability to exercise sound news judgment and generate factual, error-free online copy quickly in breaking news situations.
• Strong content editing/proofreading abilities, including knowledge of AP style.
• Strategic thinker, with the ability to work with others to put together detailed, easy-to-understand plans.
• Passionate and enthusiastic about online journalism and local news opportunities in North Texas.
• Ability to connect with and maintain relationships with diverse communities and staff.
• Valid Texas Driver’s License and insurance required for assignments/activities that involve work outside of the office. Must maintain a clean driving record.
• Experience with radio or on-camera reporting and audio/video editing.
• Knowledge of HTML and content management systems including WordPress and Drupal.
• Experience with Photoshop or similar tools.
• Demonstrated interest in North Texas people, arts, cultures, issues, and geography as well as national and international issues, and events.
• Fluent in multiple languages.
HOW TO APPLY
Please provide a 1) resume; and 2) cover letter summarizing professional accomplishments and qualifications relative to the position. Please also state how you found out about this position. Submit your information via one of the contact methods below.
• Email to: [email protected]
• Fax to: 214-740-9323
• Mail to: Human Resources, KERA, 3000 Harry Hines Blvd., Dallas, Texas 75201
North Texas Public Broadcasting is an Equal Opportunity Employer