North Texas Public Broadcasting, Inc, dba KERA, the PBS and NPR affiliate of North Texas, is a not-for-profit public media organization reaching the fifth-largest media market in the United States through KERA TV, KERA 90.1 FM and music station KXT 91.7. For nearly 60 years, North Texans have turned to KERA as a vibrant destination for community engagement and lifelong learning. KERA produces original multimedia content, carries the best in national and international public television and radio programs, and provides online resources at a constellation of websites, including kera.org, keranews.org, kxt.org and artandseek.org.
KERA has an immediate opportunity for a highly qualified individual to join the KERA team as an Assistant Producer/Think.
The full-time Assistant Producer will work on Think, KERA’s weekday conversation program. This person’s primary responsibility will be the show’s digital presence, especially the podcast stream. The Think podcast is downloaded more than 300,000 times each month. Exploring creative ways to grow that number will be a key focus for the Assistant Producer.
The ideal candidate understands current trends in podcasting and is a voracious listener of audio-based media – from established public-media productions to for-profit media offerings, from true crime to experimental storytelling. This person will have a firm grasp of how sound enhances the listening experience – and be fluent in the social media techniques and other strategies that lead listeners to download the Think podcast in a crowded field of other worthy listens.
The Assistant Producer will also be involved in the day-to-day production of the radio broadcast. This person will work with colleagues to keep Think fresh and exciting for current listeners, while looking for ways to capture and engage new audiences and feature new voices through radio, digital and social media. This position will help shape the future of Think – keeping up with best practices in the radio talk show world while always remaining firmly rooted in the ethics and standards of public media.
This person is a dynamic team player who is comfortable in a fast-turnaround, live production environment. The ideal candidate is excited by the possibilities of public media and of the evolving media landscape in North Texas and beyond.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
• Lead daily production of the Think podcast stream and continuously think through how to transform each hour long radio show into the ideal podcast listening experience.
• Develop spinoffs and other ways to produce additional podcast content.
• Develop and maintain the show’s website and social media presence and connect those elements to the podcast.
• Assist with research for Think – this person will compile research and/or assign and edit research from interns for each hour of the program.
• Assist with live program production and logistics – writing online summaries, pulling sound clips, setting up for the show, escorting and confirming guests, screening calls, posting on social media, posting program audio, and booking remote studios and guests.
• Assist in coordinating intern program for News and Art&Seek departments – manage, recruit and vet newsroom interns in coordination with HR policies, and maintain positive relations with university contacts throughout the year.
• Produce and file Think recaps for digital platforms and for broadcast.
• Generate engaging and enterprising show ideas and guests for the show and news.
• Fill in for Think show producer and local Morning Edition/All Things Considered news producers as needed.
• Produce and report for special projects and other assignments – including breaking news – and other duties as assigned
• Maintain editorial standards of accuracy, thoroughness, ethics, balance and diversity.
• Participate in KERA staff meetings and on-air fundraising campaigns, and represent KERA in the community as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field or equivalent required.
• 2-3 years in journalism and/or podcasting experience.
• Expertise in audio editing and the ability to produce a high-quality listening experience in a fast-paced, daily setting.
• Organized team player and problem solver with a wide variety of interests.
• Excellent research and writing skills.
• Familiarity with WordPress and established and emerging social media platforms.
• Success in meeting daily, weekly and longer-lead deadlines.
• Ability to exercise sound news judgment and follow KERA/NPR ethics and editorial standards.
• Passionate and enthusiastic about public radio journalism and serving a diverse North Texas audience – both on the air and online.
• Ability to lead and recruit interns and volunteers.
• Ability to connect with and maintain relationships with diverse communities.
• Valid Texas Driver’s License and insurance required for assignments/activities that involve work outside of the office.
• Experience producing audio and digital content geared specifically to the digital/podcast listener.
• Reporting experience.
• Deep knowledge of North Texas people, cultures, issues, and geography as well as national and international issues, and events.
• Fluent in multiple languages.
HOW TO APPLY
Please provide a resume, a cover letter summarizing professional accomplishments and qualifications and at least recent audio/digital work samples. Please include how you found out about this position in your cover letter. Submit this information as you prefer to:
E-mail to: [email protected]
Fax to: 214-740-9323
Mail to: KERA, Attn. Human Resources, 3000 Harry Hines Blvd., Dallas, Texas 75201
North Texas Public Broadcasting is an Equal Opportunity Employer