Education Intern – Spring 2020
North Texas Public Broadcasting
KERA TV, KERA FM 90.1 and KXT FM 91.7
North Texas Public Broadcasting, Inc., “KERA”, the PBS and NPR affiliate of North Texas, is a not-for-profit public media organization reaching the fifth-largest media market in the United States through KERA-TV, KERA 90.1 FM and music station KXT 91.7. For nearly 60 years, North Texans have turned to KERA as a vibrant destination for community engagement and lifelong learning. KERA produces original multimedia content, carries the best in national and international public television and radio programs, and provides online resources at a constellation of websites, including kera.org, keranews.org, kxt.org and artandseek.org.
KERA is looking for an intern for spring semester 2020 to help the Education Director with projects involving work with families and young children.
- The primary focus will be on preparations to launch a new program to provide workshops for families about nutrition and fitness. The intern will help plan the rollout and training of workshop facilitators with partner nonprofit organizations. Specific activities will include:
- Work with partner organizations about hosting the family workshops;
- Work on marketing and promotional materials;
- Help plan methods and metrics to measure the workshops’ impact on participants’ habits and understanding regarding nutrition and fitness.
- Other activities could include:
- Expansion of a free service that sends text messages to parents of young children to help them develop skills important to success in prekindergarten, kindergarten and elementary school. The outreach is targeted primarily to Spanish-speaking families, low-income families and in-home caregivers;
- Helping to identify high-quality digital resources to share with parents of young children, including child development, early literacy and math, healthy habits and general parenting topics.
- Help with presentations at conferences or group meetings of teachers, librarians, parents and others where KERA is invited to talk about the many educational resources we provide, including digital materials designed for use in school.
This position is not paid, but KERA will work diligently with the student and a faculty member to ensure that the work provides valuable experience for the student. KERA requires that the intern’s work earn credit toward a degree, specific class or research project, and that a mentoring faculty member provide KERA with requirements the intern must meet to gain credit.
The intern will work up to 8 hours a week on a schedule that coordinates with the student’s classes and other commitments. The position will begin in January 2020 and continue until the end of spring semester. Most of the work will be at the KERA station, 3000 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75201 although there may be some travel to events. Mileage for travel in the student’s car will be reimbursed.
Candidates should send a resume and a letter that explains their interest in the post, describes how the work relates to their degree program or a specific class, and outlines their qualifications for the work. We will give preference to candidates who:
- Are fluent in English and Spanish
- Have experience with surveys and other qualitative research
- Write clearly
- Are a Graduate student or undergraduate junior or senior
- Have a GPA of at least 3.0
- Hold a valid Texas Driver License and maintain insurance for any owned and operated.
HOW TO APPLY
Please provide a 1) resume and 2) cover letter summarizing professional accomplishments and qualifications relative to the position. Please also state how you found out about this position. Submit this information as you prefer:
Email to: [email protected]
Fax to: 214-740-9323
Mail to: Human Resources, KERA, 3000 Harry Hines Blvd., Dallas, TX 75201
Inquiries must be received by December 11, 2019 please