Fort Worth Reporter
North Texas Public Broadcasting, Inc. KERA TV, KERA 90.1 and KXT 91.7 North Texas Public Broadcasting, Inc, dba KERA, the PBS and NPR affiliate of North Texas, is a not-for-profit public media organization reaching the fifth-largest media market in the United States through KERA TV, KERA 90.1 FM and music station KXT 91.7. For nearly 60 years, North Texans have turned to KERA as a vibrant destination for community engagement and lifelong learning. KERA produces original multimedia content, carries the best in national and international public television and radio programs, and provides online resources at a constellation of websites, including kera.org, keranews.org, kxt.org and artandseek.org.
KERA has an immediate opportunity for a highly qualified individual to join the KERA News team as Fort Worth Reporter.
We’re looking for an enterprising multimedia reporter to lead KERA’s coverage of Fort Worth, Tarrant County and points north and west, both on air and online. This reporter delivers a variety of stories, from breaking news to in-depth projects across an array of beats. The reporter focuses on connecting the KERA audience to the people, events and issues in Tarrant County and beyond. This reporter also fills in regularly as a general assignment reporter.
The ideal candidate is an accomplished radio and digital reporter who is also eager to take a lead role in public engagement events and videos for KERA’s digital platforms and television.
Depth, innovation and collaboration will be at the center of this job: The reporter will be equally adept at covering breaking news, creating narratives from deep dives into research, cultivating sources and producing one-of-a-kind audio, video and digital projects. The job will be based in Fort Worth and will have statewide and national reach: KERA leads the Texas Newsroom, a journalism collaboration with NPR and public radio stations across Texas.
This person is a dynamic team player who is comfortable in a fast-turnaround, live production environment. The ideal candidate is excited by the possibilities of public media and of the evolving media landscape in Tarrant County, the rest of North Texas and beyond.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
• Report and produce stories for radio and digital platforms. Bring a distinctive style and approach and find creative ways to report and produce audio. The goal: High impact with deep substance.
• Pitch and produce spots, features and in-depth projects for KERA News and for statewide and national partners. Collaborate with same.
• Regularly promote stories and coverage of issues on social media such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
• Work collaboratively as part of KERA’s team to contribute compelling story ideas, and experiment with innovative storytelling techniques.
• Build and maintain a community around a subject – locally, statewide and nationally. Create, curate and participate in in-person and social media events and campaigns.
• Cover breaking news in North Texas and beyond. Develop distinctive stories, from quick turns to in-depth projects, and tailor content to multiple platforms for KERA as assigned.
• Actively participate in KERA fundraising campaigns and other duties as assigned.
• Fill a non-exempt (hourly) position with occasional overnight travel and overtime on nights and weekends as assigned.
• Participate in KERA news meetings and fundraising campaigns and represent KERA in the community.
• Undergraduate degree in journalism or related field.
• Three or more years of professional journalism experience, and proven research, writing, and reporting skills.
• The highest journalistic and ethical standards, with dedication to accuracy, fairness and attention to detail.
• Strong audio reporting and production skills, and comfort behind a microphone.
• Eagerness to explore and develop innovative digital, social and video skills.
• Ability to generate dynamic, creative story ideas.
• Agility to shift journalistic modes quickly and nimbly: from deadline reporting to developing explainers; from deep investigative work to producing live events.
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity in reporting and sourcing. Ability to work within a diverse team with varying perspectives, ideas and life experience.
• Experience building audiences and communities on digital platforms, and using connections made within an online community for reporting.
• Valid Texas Driver’s License and insurance required for assignments/activities that may involve work outside the office and/or operating the company vehicle.
• Deep knowledge of the people, cultures, issues, and geography of North Texas and Tarrant County.
• Proven record of excellence in public radio journalism.
• Experience with one or more of the following: multimedia production, particularly photography or video; hands-on audio editing and innovative audio storytelling; working with one or more content management systems; other relevant technical expertise.
• Proficiency or fluency in a second language such as Spanish.
HOW TO APPLY
Please provide a resume, a cover letter summarizing professional accomplishments and qualifications and at least four recent audio/digital work samples. Please include how you found out about this position in your cover letter. Submit this information as you prefer to:
E-mail to: [email protected] Fax to: 214-740-9323
Mail to: KERA, Attn. Human Resources, 3000 Harry Hines Blvd. Dallas, Texas 75201.
North Texas Public Broadcasting is an Equal Opportunity Employer