Manager, Radio Operations
North Texas Public Broadcasting, Inc, dba KERA, the PBS and NPR affiliate of North Texas, is a not-for-profit public media organization reaching the fifth-largest media market in the United States through KERA TV, KERA 90.1 FM and music station KXT 91.7. For nearly 60 years, North Texans have turned to KERA as a vibrant destination for community engagement and lifelong learning. KERA produces original multimedia content, carries the best in national and international public television and radio programs, and provides online resources at a constellation of websites, including kera.org, keranews.org, kxt.org and artandseek.org. KERA has an immediate opportunity for a highly qualified individual to join the KERA team as Manager, Radio Operations.
The Manager, Radio Operations is a full-time position. This position reports to the Director of Radio Operations and supports the Director of Radio Operations and other station staff to ensure smooth and consistent station and program operations. This position helps ready the stations key systems and processes for periods of automated operations, and provides systems analysis and solutions toward effective and optimum operations of the radio stations. This position coordinates general production, and performs related duties as assigned, including voicing, editing, producing and scheduling imaging and promo spots for the radio stations. The position will serve as primary backup and fill-in when the Director of Radio Operations is out. The position directly supports the production, scheduling and distribution of local and national news, feature, commentary, interview, promotion and fundraising-related content for the radio stations. The position will also serve as regular voice-over and voice-tracking talent for the stations.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Provide support and assistance for daily station and program operations.
- Provide production planning and coordination, scheduling, and technical support for programming, news, commentary, arts, promotion, membership, and underwriting and corporate sponsorship.
- Voice-track KXT programming.
- Voice, edit, produce, and schedule station imaging and promotion spots.
- Provide regular high-quality original KERA produced audio content.
- Improve systems analysis and solutions, and coordination, scheduling and technical support of all areas of regular and special operations and production.
- Deliver reliable and consistent backup and support for key station and program operations during attended and unattended operations, and greater periods of unattended automated operations.
- Provide production support and assistance to KERA staff, and NPR, BBC and other national programs and international news gathering and journalism organizations, when they seek our production assistance.
- Serve as backup and fill-in for Director of Radio Operations, including vacation fill-in, to ensure smooth and consistent station and program operations.
- Serve as fill-in host and board operator to ensure uninterrupted high standard of listener service.
- Help improve the overall sound of the radio stations through increased and regular imaging, and increase the consistency and total number of local presence programming hours on KXT.
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures.
- Ideal person for this position is a quick study, with a friendly, straightforward and compelling on-air delivery style well-suited for live and recorded announcing
- A college degree in media, broadcasting or journalism, or equivalent training/education/experience
- A minimum 5 years professional experience in radio operations, broadcasting, journalism, audio production or a related field
- Requires strong time management skills and technical skills, demonstrable experience with writing and producing audio content for an NPR-based public radio news and information format, and familiarity with journalism standards and ethics
- Knowledge of FCC rules and requirements
- Experience with computers, radio automation systems, audience data systems, and digital production and editing is required.
- Must be able to periodically work on weekends, irregular hours, holidays, and as-needed based on the 24/7 nature of station operations
- Valid Texas Driver’s License and insurance required for assignments/activities that involve work outside of the office. Must maintain a clean driving record.
- Specific experience with PRSS/Content Depot, ENCO, Wheatstone network systems, Burli CMS, Adobe Audition, Nielsen, and Marketron are strongly desired
HOW TO APPLY:
Please provide a 1) resume and 2) cover letter summarizing professional accomplishment and qualifications for the position. Please also state how you found out about this position. Submit this information as you prefer:
- Email to: [email protected]
- Fax to: 214-740-9323
- Mail to: Human Resources, KERA, 3000 Harry Hines Blvd., Dallas, Texas 75201
North Texas Public Broadcasting is an Equal Opportunity Employer