KERA Marketing & Communications Intern — Fall 2019
North Texas Public Broadcasting
KERA TV, KERA 90.1 and KXT 91.7
North Texas Public Broadcasting, Inc., the PBS and NPR affiliate of North Texas, is a not-for-profit public media organization reaching the fifth-largest media market in the United States through KERA-TV, KERA 90.1 FM and music station KXT 91.7. For nearly 60 years, North Texans have turned to KERA as a vibrant destination for community engagement and lifelong learning. KERA produces original multimedia content, carries the best in national and international public television and radio programs, and provides online resources at a constellation of websites, including kera.org, keranews.org, kxt.org and artandseek.org.
KERA’s Marketing and Communications Department functions as an internal agency, managing the organization’s brand identity; promoting its content, services and fundraising initiatives; and providing strategic services to every other department within the organization. The Department is seeking a Marketing and Communications Intern who will assist with a variety of tasks related to these functions, as well as special events and projects.
Interns will have the opportunity to develop a variety of marketing and communications skills, including social media and digital marketing tools and tactics. They will sharpen writing skills and practice writing for a variety of platforms and audiences. They also will work adjacent to exciting fields such as the music and broadcast industries and learn the inner workings of a large public media and nonprofit organization.
Although this internship is unpaid, interns will receive academic credit for their work with KERA.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
The intern’s responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, any of the following activities. Responsibilities may change on a weekly or daily basis, depending on the needs of the department.
• Creates a variety of marketing-related content, including pre-scheduled social media posts, promotional blog posts, print newsletter copy, online event calendar posts, etc.
• Helps monitor comments, direct messages, etc. across KERA social media accounts. Log social media interactions, highlighting incidents of trolling, spamming, offensive/abusive language, etc.
• Assists in managing and contributing to the marketing team’s internal depository of photos and graphics.
• Takes photos at station events, volunteer functions, in the studio and during pledge drives as needed.
• Assists with ongoing administrative tasks as needed, including email subscriber data entry, logging volunteer hours, tracking marketing metrics, etc.
• Assists with gathering, editing and writing content for KERA/KXT print newsletter.
• Assists with setup, engagement, etc. at off-site marketing events as needed.
• Performs related duties as assigned by management.
• Maintains compliance with all company policies and procedures.
Must be enrolled as a graduate or undergraduate student with junior or senior standing. This internship is unpaid, and interns must be enrolled in a class program or study that will allow them to receive academic credit for their work with KERA.
• Strong writing and editing skills. Impeccable grammar, spelling and punctuation skills are a must.
• Ability to communicate clearly and professionally, both verbally and in writing, with diverse constituencies, including donors, senior management and Board members.
• Strong organizational and time management skills and ability to meet deadlines. Punctuality, reliability and attention to detail.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Experience using social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
• Valid Texas Driver’s License and insurance required for assignments/activities that may involve work outside the office and/or operating the company vehicle.
• Majors in marketing/advertising/PR, journalism, communication, English or similar fields are strongly preferred.
• Knowledge of AP style is strongly preferred.
• Experience with content management systems or blogging platforms (Blogger, WordPress, Drupal).
• Photography, graphic design and video editing skills.
The individual must have the ability to safely and successfully perform the essential functions of the job and to maintain regular, punctual attendance consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit for extended periods of time at a desk and computer; stand and walk; use hands to finger, handle, feel objects, tools or controls and to type on a keyboard; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk and hear; use office equipment and machinery effectively. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Position operates in a temperature controlled office environment.
This internship will begin around September 20, 2019, and will continue through about December 13, 2019. Interns should be available to work a minimum of 12-15 hours per week at KERA/KXT’s offices in Dallas. Schedules are flexible, but most shifts should be 4-5 hours long and take place during normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5:30pm). Interns may occasionally be asked to work at evening/weekend events.
HOW TO APPLY
Please provide (1) a resume, (2) cover letter and (3) writing sample no more than 500 words in length. Examples of writing samples may include an article from your university newspaper, short writing assignment, personal essay or blog post. Please also state how you found out about this position.
Submit this information as you prefer:
Email to: [email protected]
Fax to: (214) 740-9323
Mail to: Human Resources, KERA, 3000 Harry Hines Blvd., Dallas, TX 75201