Marketing & Communications Intern — Summer 2019
KERA’s Marketing and Communications Department functions as an internal agency, manages the organization’s brand identity; promote its content, services and fundraising initiatives; and provides strategic services to every other department within the organization. The Department is seeking two (2) Marketing and Communications Interns who will assist with a variety of tasks related to these functions, as well as work on special events and projects.
Interns have the opportunity to develop a variety of marketing and communications skills, including social media and digital marketing tools and tactics. They will sharpen writing skills and practice writing for various platforms and audiences. They will also work adjacent to exciting fields such as the music and broadcast industries, and learn about the inner workings of a large public media and nonprofit organization.
Although this internship is unpaid, interns will receive academic credit for their work with KERA.
Essential Responsibilities & Duties
The intern’s responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following activities.
- Create a variety of marketing-related content, including pre-scheduled social media posts, promotional blog posts, print newsletter copy, online event calendar posts, etc.
- Help monitor comments, direct messages, etc. across KERA/KXT’s social media accounts; Log social media interactions, highlighting incidents of trolling, spamming, offensive/abusive language, etc.
- Assist in managing and contributing to the marketing team’s internal depository of photos and graphics.
- Take photos at station events, volunteer functions, in the studio and during pledge drives as needed.
- Assist with ongoing administrative tasks as needed, including email subscriber data entry, logging volunteer hours, tracking marketing metrics, etc.
- Assist with gathering, editing and writing content for KERA/KXT print newsletter.
- Assist with setup, engagement, etc. at off-site marketing events when needed.
- Perform related duties as assigned by management.
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures.
Must be enrolled as a graduate or undergraduate student with junior or senior standing. This internship is unpaid, and interns must be enrolled in a class program or study that will allow them to receive academic credit for their work with KERA.
- Strong writing and editing skills, impeccable grammar, spelling, and punctuation skills are a must.
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally, both verbally and in writing, with diverse constituencies, including donors, senior management and Board members.
- Strong organizational and time management skills and ability to meet deadlines.
- Punctuality, reliability and attention to detail.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience using social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Valid Texas Driver’s License and insurance required for assignments/activities that may involve work outside the office and/or operating the company vehicle.
- Majors in marketing/advertising/PR, journalism, communication, English or similar fields are strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of AP style is strongly preferred.
- Experience with content management systems or blogging platforms (Blogger, WordPress, Drupal).
- Photography, graphic design and video editing skills.
Interns should be available to work a minimum of 12-15 hours per week at KERA/KXT’s offices in Dallas. Schedules are flexible, but most shifts should be 4-5 hours long and take place during normal business hours (Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5:30pm). Interns may occasionally be asked to work at evening/weekend events.
How To Apply
Please provide (1) a resume, (2) cover letter and (3) writing sample no more than 500 words in length. Examples of writing samples may include an article from your university newspaper, short writing assignment, personal essay or blog post. Please also state how you found out about this position.
Email to: [email protected]
Fax to: 214-740-9323
Mail to: Human Resources, KERA, 3000 Harry Hines Blvd., Dallas, TX 75201