Off-Air Graphic Designer
North Texas Public Broadcasting
KERA TV, KERA 90.1 and KXT 91.7
North Texas Public Broadcasting, Inc., the PBS and NPR affiliate of North Texas, is a not-for-profit public media organization reaching the fifth-largest media market in the United States through KERA-TV, KERA 90.1 FM and music station KXT 91.7. For nearly 60 years, North Texans have turned to KERA as a vibrant destination for community engagement and lifelong learning. KERA produces original multimedia content, carries the best in national and international public television and radio programs, and provides online resources at a constellation of websites, including kera.org, keranews.org, kxt.org and artandseek.org.
KERA has an immediate opening for an Off-Air Graphic Designer. The Off-Air Graphic Designer position represents an opportunity to work in a dynamic media organization, creating compelling graphic designs for KERA’s family of brands. The Off-Air Graphic Designer is a member of the Marketing and Communications team, which serves as the internal creative agency for the organization. The Off-Air Graphic Designer is responsible for the creation, execution and delivery of a wide range of creative materials, including print and digital (web) graphics. This position reports to the On-Air Promotions Manager.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
• Conceive and design print graphics for Marketing and Communications projects, including infographics, presentation decks, fliers, mailers, brochures, ads, and the like involving the KERA newsletter, grants materials, Membership & Major Gifts (fundraising) materials, company events, community engagement and educational materials, and many other miscellaneous print needs of the business.
• Conceive and design digital graphics for Marketing and Communications projects, including web banners, digital ads, email assets, icons, and many other miscellaneous digital needs of the business.
• Uphold brand standards, maintaining quality and quantity of work produced.
• Act as the creative lead on various projects, from conception to delivery, guiding the work of internal staff and external vendors, while remaining hands-on.
• Brainstorm creative concepts with Marketing and Communications, Digital staff and other internal teams or external teams to create or support new products (multimedia presentations, membership messaging/graphics, digital marketing efforts).
• Work closely with Digital and On-Air teams to ensure continuity of design and shared assets. Ensure quality of hi-res files are built to specs given and are suitable for printing.
• Train with the On-Air Graphic Designer to learn the basics of motion graphics and become proficient in After Effects and Premiere Pro, learning the essential duties of the On-Air Graphic Designer.
Experience and Skills
The successful candidate should have:
• Minimum 1-2 years proven graphic design experience with a strong portfolio that represents a range of design styles and project diversity, including creative print & digital design.
• Background in agency or broadcast environment is a plus.
• Skilled in the latest version of Adobe Creative Suite — Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator – and Mac OS.
• Proficient in Microsoft Suite — Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook.
• Experience in overseeing purchasing orders and working with external vendors is a plus.
• Works well in a fast-paced, team-building environment.
• Time management skills with the ability to complete tasks on deadline without compromising creativity or quality are crucial.
• Knowledge of content delivery is a plus.
• Customer-service mindset and the ability to build strong relationships internally and with outside vendors/clients.
• The ability to learn, adapt and use new versions or similar tools and frameworks is a must.
• Dependability, adaptability, ability to understand concepts, make decisions and exercise good judgment are essential.
• Must demonstrate positive social skills and the ability to listen and understand the needs of the internal or external client to produce the desired outcome.
A bachelor’s degree in Art and/or Design.
This job is located in an office environment in a cubicle area. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; may also be called upon to walk; use hands and fingers to hold, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop; kneel; crouch; or crawl; talk; and hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and depth perception with the ability to legally drive. The employee is sometimes required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
HOW TO APPLY
1. A resume
2. Cover letter summarizing accomplishments and qualifications relative to the position
3. Portfolio/work samples (a link is preferred)
Please also state how you found out about the position.
Note that only applicants who meet the qualifications as stated can be considered. We thank you for your interest.
Submit this information as you prefer:
• E-mail to: [email protected]
• Fax to: 214-740-9323
• Mail to: KERA, Attn. Human Resources, 3000 Harry Hines Blvd. Dallas, Texas 75201
We offer a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package based upon professional experience and achievement.
North Texas Public Broadcasting – KERA – is an Equal Opportunity Employer.