North Texas Public Broadcasting, Inc, dba KERA, the PBS and NPR affiliate of North Texas, is a not-for-profit public media organization reaching the fifth-largest media market in the United States through KERA TV, KERA 90.1 FM and music station KXT 91.7. For nearly 60 years, North Texans have turned to KERA as a vibrant destination for community engagement and lifelong learning. KERA produces original multimedia content, carries the best in national and international public television and radio programs, and provides online resources at a constellation of websites, including kera.org, keranews.org, kxt.org and artandseek.org. KERA has an immediate opportunity for a highly qualified individual to join the KERA team as a full-time producer.
The producer will manage day-to-day production of the KERA FM live interview program and podcast, “Think,” which airs daily on more than 20 public radio frequencies across Texas. Duties will include guest and topic selection and booking; research; live program direction and production; development and management of digital elements and social media streams; and on-air communications and promotion. The producer will coordinate and collaborate with newsrooms at KERA and other public media stations on content streams and coverage initiatives.
The ideal candidate is detail-oriented with strong logistics skills, and has wide interests in everything from science, politics and history to race, education and climate change. This person is dedicated to showcasing a diverse array of voices – in gender, ethnicity, age, geography and philosophy.
The candidate must have a passion for public radio and podcasting, and experience in a live broadcast production environment. This position serves a large and engaged audience – and must follow the ethics and standards of public media.
- Manage live production for two hour long episodes of the interview/call-in program “Think” every weekday.
- Work with host/managing editor and senior producer to select and research guests and topics.
- Book the daily program.
- Develop engaging program ideas and creative approaches to covering news and current affairs.
- Research, write and edit broadcast-ready scripts.
- Play a primary role in the program’s digital presence, including: writing, editing and curating social media streams and digital stories; maintaining web page; and handling program emails and comments from audience members.
- Edit and produce podcasts.
- Report on breaking news as assigned.
- Maintain the highest editorial standards of accuracy, ethics, balance and diversity. Identify diverse voices in coverage online and on the air.
- Build and maintain relationships with local, regional and national publishers, universities and think tanks.
- Coordinate with other KERA departments.
- Participate in meetings of the KERA news team and statewide partners.
- Participate in on-air fundraising campaigns.
- Represent KERA at professional and public events as assigned.
- Coordinate, produce and travel with the program for remote broadcasts.
- Other newsroom duties as assigned.
- At least 5 years of experience in live production with at least 3 years as a full-time producer.
- Informed and connected news consumer with wide-ranging interests, a passion for always learning more and a proven ability to generate exciting topics/ideas.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines in a fast-paced live broadcasting environment.
- Proficiency in digital audio editing/mixing.
- Knowledge of Associated Press style.
- Understanding of NPR style and ethics guidelines.
- Ability to exercise sound news judgment and generate factual, error-free copy quickly in breaking-news situations.
- Experience managing and writing social media streams.
- Excellent communicator.
- Passion for public radio journalism and serving a diverse audience.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field or equivalent required; media or journalism degree preferred.
- Valid Texas Driver’s License and insurance required for assignments/activities that involve work outside of the office. Must maintain a clean driving record.
- Experience with public radio production and journalism.
- Demonstrated ability leading teams.
- Significant experience on a variety of digital platforms.
- Editing experience.
- Fluency in another language/s.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please provide a 1) resume and 2) cover letter summarizing professional accomplishment and qualifications for the position, plus three program ideas (including proposed topic, guest and approach). Please also state how you found out about this position. Submit this information as you prefer:
- Email to: [email protected]
- Fax to: 214-740-9323
- Mail to: Human Resources, KERA, 3000 Harry Hines Blvd., Dallas, Texas 75201
North Texas Public Broadcasting is an Equal Opportunity Employer