Statewide Business Manager – News – Dallas
North Texas Public Broadcasting, Inc, dba KERA, the PBS and NPR affiliate of North Texas, is a not-for-profit public media organization reaching the fifth-largest media market in the United States through KERA TV, KERA 90.1 FM and music station KXT 91.7. For nearly 60 years, North Texans have turned to KERA as a vibrant destination for community engagement and lifelong learning. KERA produces original multimedia content, carries the best in national and international public television and radio programs, and provides online resources at a constellation of websites, including kera.org, keranews.org, kxt.org and artandseek.org. KERA has an immediate opportunity for a highly qualified individual to join the KERA team as Statewide Business Manager for the Texas news hub.
NPR and its member stations are creating an innovative new system of regional news hubs designed to reshape the journalism landscape — and the prototype is being built in Texas.
We’re looking for a Business Manager to oversee the finances, metrics and sustainability efforts locally, regionally and nationally. The Business Manager is a two-year position in Dallas at KERA, lead station for the collaboration between the network and the Texas stations. The other three managing stations are KUT in Austin, Houston Public Media and Texas Public Radio in San Antonio.
The Business Manager is the principal contact for station leaders and business-side staff who share in the responsibility of marketing, selling, fundraising, distributing the content produced by the Texas News Hub. The Business Manager will develop project plans to meet key business objectives as directed by station leadership and circulate daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly project updates and financial reports to key stakeholders.
The Business Manager will maintain strong communications with all editorial and business leadership who work with the hub. The Business Manager will work with the Managing Editor to define and track metrics, to document engagement and evidence of mission-driven impact and help create an impact measurement process that can be shared with funders.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Work with leaders at KERA, Hub stations and NPR to define monthly and quarterly goals and objectives that will build Texas News Hub deliverables.
- Track, monitor and report on the hub’s finances. Ensure timely handling of reimbursements and payments into and out of the hub.
- Collaboratively define, track and supervise collection of hub metrics.
- Design and implement project plans and strategies to promote the attainment of sustainability goals.
- Identify areas for operational or process improvement that directly affect revenue and sustainability.
- Identify areas for new product development and conduct analysis to determine the potential revenue and risks of new product development.
- Assess Hub financial performance against objectives.
- Ensure adherence to financial-reporting rules and guidelines.
- Demonstrated business acumen, including accounting.
- Strong organizational skills, with demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects and ensure deadlines are met.
- Ability to create and maintain databases to track and report key financial information of the Hub
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
- Strong collaborative skills, as demonstrated by at least two years in a project management role.
- Detail-oriented approach to financial and metrics collection and reporting.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct financial analysis.
- Dedication to diversity and inclusion.
- Valid driver’s license and insurance required for assignments/activities that involve work outside of the office. Must maintain a clean driving record.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in business administration or journalism with a business minor; MBA a plus.
- Familiar with and experienced in Corporation for Public Broadcasting reporting practices.
- Experience working in public media or with non-profits.
- Experience working as or among journalists.
- Demonstrated experience of having grown an enterprise or product.
- Understanding of marketing principles.
- Spanish-language skills are a plus.
- Enthusiastic about journalism and news opportunities in Texas.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please provide a 1) resume and 2) cover letter summarizing professional accomplishments and qualifications for the position. Please also state how you found out about this position. Submit the information as you prefer:
Email to: [email protected]
Fax to: 214-740-9323
Mail to: Human Resources, KERA, 3000 Harry Hines Blvd., Dallas, Texas 75201
North Texas Public Broadcasting is an Equal Opportunity Employer