Statewide Newscaster/Producer – Houston
Location: Houston, TX
Hiring Station: KUHF-FM
NPR and its member stations are creating an innovative new system of regional news hubs designed to reshape the journalism landscape — and the prototype is being built in Texas.
We’re looking for two Statewide Newscasters to anchor a live statewide newscast operation. One Statewide Newscaster will be employed in Austin at KUT; the other will be employed at Houston Public Media. Both are managing stations in the Hub, as is Texas Public Radio in San Antonio. KERA in Dallas is the lead station.
The Newscasters write and deliver live newscasts for Texas stations. Between them, the Newscasters are responsible for creating six newscasts each weekday, ensuring that content is refreshed as news warrants and stories are updated as they develop. One Newscaster focuses on mornings, the other on afternoons.
They conduct interviews, collect sound, write copy and announce live and recorded versions of the stories for air on Texas stations.
The newscasters also report statewide stories and produce spots for use in local and national newscasts and generate content for digital platforms.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Organize, craft, and anchor live newscasts.
- Report daily stories for broadcast and digital platforms.
- Collect audio and write scripts for newscasts and stories for digital platforms.
- Work collaboratively with stations across Texas and with NPR’s national newscasts.
- Commitment to showcasing diverse voices and viewpoints.
- At least two years in journalism.
- Experience as a newscaster.
- Excellent writing and reporting skills for both audio and digital platforms.
- Polished broadcast presentation and sound.
- Strong news judgment, ensuring fairness and accuracy, and adhering to ethical standards.
- Dedication to diversity and inclusion.
- Ability to turn material quickly and respond to breaking news.
- Valid driver’s license and insurance required for assignments/activities that involve work outside of the office. Must maintain a clean driving record.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience required; media or journalism degree preferred
- Public media experience, particularly in newscast production.
- Experience working in collaborative organizations.
- Experience with and credibility in Texas journalism and/or with NPR.
- Spanish-language skills are a plus.
HOW TO APPLY:
The hiring station is working with Stone Alliance to recruit for this position. If you are interested, please send an email along with your resume to [email protected].
KUHF-FM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.