Happy Tuesday! Thanks for checking out Art&Seek’s weekly look back at the biggest and most important stories in the North Texas arts scene. If you or your friends want to know more about what’s happening in the North Texas arts world, check out our weekly newsletter. Click here to sign up.
A Quick Look At Art&Seek’s Reporting
- From sexual harassment and the #MeToo movement to confederate statues being removed, 2017 was a tumultuous year for the North Texas arts scene. In this week’s State of the Arts discussion, I talked with KERA’s Vice President of Arts Anne Bothwell and Art&Seek reporter Jerome Weeks to sort through the highs and lows.
- An actor’s voice can hold us spellbound. And many of the voices you’re hearing on North Texas stages have been shaped in part by SMU Professor Anne Schilling. In this week’s Art & Seek Artist Spotlight, Jerome Weeks learns why even famous actors need the services of a voice and accent coach.
- Before LEDs and lasers — even before Edison first hung a string of lights in his lab — we’ve used the flicker of candlelight to help us celebrate the winter season. Art&Seek intern Miguel Perez has talked with people celebrating holidays from various faiths and in unorthodox locations — they all say that a flickering wick is still the best way to light the holiday.
What Else You’ve Got To Know
- Choir Of Homeless People Rocks Carnegie Hall (NBC)
- Actor-Singer-Clubowner Ted Davey Dies At 54 (Art&Seek)
- Two Years After Deadly Christmas Tornado, Rowlett Marks Comeback Through Artwork (Dallas Morning News)
- Jim Henson Co. Will Make Puppets for the Next Film by Dallas Movie Studio Cinestate (Dallas Observer)
- The Basement Venue At J&J’s Pizza In Denton Is Back! (Central Track)
- 18 Dallas Comics Crack Top 1,000 Comedians Of ’17 List (Central Track)
What We’re Reading
- Dallas Director Augustine Frizzell on Her Teen Comedy Never Goin’ Back That’s Goin’ to Sundance (Dallas Observer)
- Texan Of The Year Finalist: Jorge Baldor’s Quiet Philanthropy Helps Transform Dallas (Dallas Morning News)
- Kimbell’s New Painting Fills A Void, But It Had To Pass A Key Test First (Star-Telegram)
- Finding A New Conductor To Match Jaap van Zweden’s Power Will Be DSO’s Challenge (Dallas Morning News)
- I’m Dreaming Of A (Black And Brown And Native And) White Christmas (NPR’s Code Switch)
- Will Dallas-Fort Worth’s Art Museums And Private Art Spaces Tango Or Tussle? (Dallas Morning News)
- Finding the Right Space, Part 1 (Theater Jones)
- Is Dallas becoming a literary destination? Mix of bookstores, speaking series put city on path (Dallas Morning News)
- A Year of Magical Figurative Art (hyperallergic)
- Frank Lloyd Wright’s Striking Pop-Cultural Legacy (The Atlantic)
- Glasstire’s Best of 2017 (Glasstire)
What We’re Listening To
- How Fleetwood Mac Makes A Song (Nerdwriter1)
- How Ed Sheeran Made ‘Shape of You’ the Year’s Biggest Track (New York Times)
What We’re Looking At
- ‘The Big Screen’: The Top 10 Movies Of 2017 (Art&Seek)
- Americans are Weird When It Comes to Christmas (Glasstire)
Photo Of The Week