Prairie View A&M University
Prairie View A&M University is the second oldest public institution of higher education in Texas. The school was established in 1876 during the reconstruction period after the Civil War. Originally established as the “Agricultural and Mechanic College of Texas for Colored Youths” the school’s management responsibility was entrusted with the Board of Directors of the Agricultural and Mechanical College at Bryan. After multiple name changes until 1947, the institution was named Prairie View A&M University on August 27, 1973.